Nick Winkelman joined Athletes’ Performance in spring 2007. While studying Exercise Sports Science at Oregon State University (OSU), Nick had the opportunity to assist and implement the strength and conditioning program for the 2006 College World Series Champions. Prior to working with the OSU baseball team, Nick was the Strength and Conditioning coach for the Pittsburgh Pirates Rookie League team in Bradenton, Florida.
Throughout his college career, he taught the OSU personal trainer certification course, the SRPT (Safe Return Personal Trainer) course for the post-injury and post-rehabilitation population, and was the Lead Performance Trainer for the personal training department. Nick commenced his senior year with the completion of his self-initiated thesis on the bilateral deficit and the effects on strength training, which he later presented at the 2006 NSCA National Conference. Nick is in the process of pursuing a Masters in Strength and Conditioning.
In this episode we discuss:
- His journey as a strength and conditioning coach.
- The mission and roles of Athletes Performance.
- The commitment to education by Athletes Performance.
- Reactive Agility – Why and How!
- His Mentors, Favorite Quote, Book/App/Website Recommendations.
Links We Mentioned:
- Will’s Twitter, Facebook, Linked In
- Athletes Performance Education: http://education.athletesperformance.com/
- Favorite Quote:
- “You haven’t taught, till they have learned.” John Wooden
- “We will do what others won’t today, so that we can do what others can’t tomorrow.” Unknown
- Book Recommendation:
- Attention to Motor Skill Learning – Gabriele Wulf
- Website Recommendation: Google Scholar, Pub Med, Prezi
- App Recommendation: Kinesiocapture
THIS EPISODE OF IRON GAME CHALK TALK IS EXCLUSIVELY SPONSORED BY PLAE SPORTS FLOORING:
PLAE Performance Sports Flooring has more than 40 years of experience. Their team leverages this knowledge and insight to develop innovative, premium products that exceed expectations. Specializing in all levels of athletics the identify and understand specific needs and design solution to meet them. Click here to see a gallery of colleges that have installed PLAE.