Strength Coach Basic Training
Who is SCBT for?
Welcome to Strength Coach Basic Training, a online coaching education and S&C community created by Ron McKeefery. Coach McKeefery for years has developed hundreds of coaches for a career in Strength and Conditioning. Designed for those strength coaches who are unable to afford the time or money to do an onsite internship, or for coaches that are early in their careers and would like to continue to build on their learning experiences from other programs. Coach McKeefery takes the same 8 lectures and assignments he gives his interns, coaching assistants, graduate assistants and puts them online.
- Private Facebook Group
- 8 Lectures and Assignments
- Access to Coach McKeefery
- Instant Community with Priceless Networking
- Bonus Manuals, Presentations, Programs
Lecture and Assignment Series:
- Create a cover letter that answers the four questions coaches want to know.
- Learn how to create a strength and conditioning resume from your personal experiences specific to the field.
- Find out what references you should and should not list.
- Discover some unique tips to separate your application materials from the rest.
- Discover how to take advantage of social media outlets to brand yourself as a strength and conditioning coach.
- Become familiar with the dos and don’ts of social media
- Understand how to use networking skills to further advance your career
- Learn about networking opportunities with other professionals in the field
- Learn how to visit the best strength coaches in the field.
- Become aware of the proper protocol for setting up a site visit
- Learn how to create a template of topics to cover at a site visit
- Establish a set of objectives for your site visit
- Be advised on proper etiquette in following up with a site
- Learn the appropriate protocol during a site visit and what questions to ask
- Understand the value of site visits
- Discover how you can apply information obtained from site visits to your training program
- Develop your own template to get the most out of every visit
- Learn the importance and how to develop a strength and conditioning library.
- Find out what materials can be included in your library.
- Discover how to utilize technology to build your strength and conditioning library.
- Discover cost effective ways to create a strength and conditioning library
- Understand the history of strength and conditioning and how it continues to progress
- Discover some of the key leaders within the field of strength and conditioning and their impact
- Become familiar with the current roles and responsibilities of a strength and conditioning coach
- Learn the definition of a strength and conditioning coach and their scope of practice
- Understand the difference between principle based and philosophy based strength and conditioning.
- Discover how to establish your own set of strength and conditioning principles.
- Receive an in-depth look at a well-established strength and conditioning coach’s principles
- Become versed in creating detailed principles as a strength and conditioning coach
- Learn the essential principles in developing a profficient athlete
- Learn how to apply these principles in your program
- Learn to avoid time-wasting scenarios and to become more time-efficient
- Understand how to create a process that allows you to manage your time more resourcefully
- Become aware of skills and techniques that will help you increase your time-efficiency
- Learn how to adopt the mindset of a time-efficient person
- Learn how to design a strength and conditioning facility from the ground up.
- Become familiar with appropriate rules and regulations that will ensure a safe and effective environment
- Learn to create a detailed emergency action plan
- Understand how to establish facility maintenance and cleaning policies
See What They Are Saying?
Dana Cavalea, Former Head S&C, World Champion New York Yankees, MLB
“Coach Mac introduced me to the field of strength and conditioning. Long hours, hard work, and sometimes the most outrageous tasks made me what I am today! Working from the bottom up taught me all the lessons I needed to become a World Champion!
“Strength Coach Basic Training is a great resource for up and coming strength coaches, as well as those that need a refresher on what it takes to be the best. If you are a seasoned veteran in the field looking to catch up on the basics- or on your way up, dig in and enjoy the ride through BASIC TRAINING!!”
Derek Millender, Head S&C, Cleveland Cavaliers, NBA
“Coach Mckeefery’s internship program laid the foundation for me to become the Strength Coach I am today. I valued the willingness Coach always put forth to give us weekly assignments and daily feedback. What has really been special about Coach is that even after my internship I can still count on him for anything.
I recommend any young Coach or anyone interested in being a Strength and Conditioning Coach to take advantage of Strength Coach Basic Training. We all must continue to refine our skills and it starts with our foundation.”
Lewis Caralla, Head S&C , University of North Texas
“Coach McKeefery has played an instrumental role in my development as strength and conditioning coach. Coach McKeefery’s program was my introduction into the field and it has prepared me for future success. His internship program is unlike any other in the country. He shows you that he values your assistance and wants to teach you as much as he possibly can for your own benefit. One thing that could not be taught that I noticed about Coach Mac was his work ethic. Not only is he brilliant about the field but also shows you by example what it takes to be a strength coach of his caliber. You can tell if you work with him for one day that his heart and drive are completely devoted to his team and this profession.
Coach McKeefery has also been an unbelieveable reference for me to have as I’ve continued my career in strength and conditioning. If someone doesn’t know Coach Mac, then they know someone who does because it’s impossible to ignore what he has done at South Florida. He has helped me and has been extremely useful every step of the way on my path thus far. Thank you Coach McKeefery for being a great role model, teaching me all that you have, and showing me what it takes to be successful in this field.”
Art Tolhurst , Assistant S&C, University of Oregon
“Coach McKeefery really showed me what it takes to run a successful Division 1 Strength and Conditioning program. Going into my internship I thought I knew how to write programs and coach athletes but I quickly found out that there is a lot more to it.
The information I gained about programming and periodization is invaluable and without a doubt the most important thing I took away from the internship program. I was also very impressed with the methods of motivation and variety of unique workouts. Having a chance to meet a few times a week in a classroom setting with the coaching staff were probably some of the best learning experiences I have ever had. I probably learned more about strength and conditioning in the 4-month summer internship program than I did in 4 years of college. It was a great program that I plan on trying to incorporate at any school I am at and I highly recommend it for anybody who is serious about being a strength and conditioning coach. Taking a look at the program that is laid out; I believe that every aspect of being a strength and conditioning coach will be addressed and completion of the program will prepare you as much as possible without actually being in the weight room floor.”
Andrew Pompei, Head S&C-Football Portland State University
“I was privileged to intern with Ron McKeefery. Coach McKeefery and his staff provided the keys to succeed as a strength and conditioning professional. Ron had a great impact in my development as a strength coach. He is very knowledgeable in all components of athleticism with regards to performance. The information I acquired was instrumental in my approach to strength, speed, and agility. Coach McKeefery’s protocols are a much-needed piece in the preparation of an elite strength and conditioning coach. His lessons and guidance yield a highly effective base for young strength professional just starting out. Ron’s information, instruction, and inspiration are second to none in the realm of athletic training. Ron McKeefery’s “Strength Coach Basic Training” is an essential ingredient in the development of a strength and conditioning coach. I could not have progressed in my career without the principles and fundamentals provided in the areas of planning, programming, and training. The program allows you to become familiar with current policies and operating procedures within the strength world. Ron’s program curriculum was influential in networking and site visits, creating a plethora of opportunities. Coach McKeefery’s system has been an integral part of my success in the current job market.
FREE E-Book "Weight Room Wisdom"
Subscribe to get the latest IRON GAME CHALK TALK Episode and updates by email.
As a bonus, download your FREE copy of Weight Room Wisdom: 365 Motivational Quotes.