Micah Kurtz was named the 2016 National High School Strength Coach of the Year by the National Strength and Conditioning Association. He is in his 8th year as the Director of Strength and Conditioning at AC Flora high school in Columbia, South Carolina. In the past five years, AC Flora has won 12 state championships. The school was named the #1 athletic program of the year by The State newspaper in both 2014 and 2015. Coach Kurtz also serves as the Strength and Conditioning Consultant Coach to the 9 time high school basketball national champion and winner of the 2016 Dick’s National Tournament Oak Hill Academy. He has also been named the South Carolina Strength Coach of the Year in both 2013 and 2014 by the state coaches association. Coach Kurtz is an active speaker at strength and fitness conferences across the U.S. and has delivered presentations in both China and Hong Kong. He is the South Carolina State Director for both the National High School Strength Coaches Association (NHSSCA) and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
In This Episode We Discuss:
- Why he became a Strength and Conditioning Coach.
- What experience in his journey impacted him the most, and Why.
- Biggest mistake he has made and how he learned from it.
- Challenges of running a High School program.
- What an annual program looks like for the multi sport athlete.
- What makes him and his program unique.
- Best piece of coaching advice he has ever received.
- His favorite quote, Book/App/Website recommendation.
Download this Episode on iTunes or Stitcher Radio
Links We Mentioned:
- Lead For God’s Sake
- The Energy Bus
- Power Positions
- The Strength Coaches Playbook
- Chop Wood Carry Water